Alaska Fossil Hunting
Alaska fossil hunt Private-Custom Tour
- Ride by UTV to a scenic valley of plentiful fossil finds
- Learn about fossilization processes and history
- Enjoy a fun fossil hunting opportunity
- Choose a complimentary scenic UTV ride or a moderate hour and a half hike
Discover Alaska’s natural history in the beautiful Talkeetna Mountains on an Alaska fossil hunt!
Some of the earliest fossils known in Alaska are from the Paleozoic Era about 550 to 250 million years ago. Most of Alaska was underwater during this time.
Ride by UTV to a scenic valley of plentiful fossil finds, including carbon film plants and petrified redwood trees.
Learn about the various fossilization processes, sedimentary rocks, and coal formation with hands-on examples surrounded by natural beauty. Experience the excitement of finding ancient life preserved in the cliffs and rocks all around you and use fossil hunting tools to uncover it. Take home your favorite fossil and kids get paleontology work sheets for the homeward journey.
This activity is offered with either a scenic UTV ride or a moderate hour and a half hike!
Fun and photo opportunities for the whole family!
- ? hour private, custom tour
- Pickup / Drop-off at any Anchorage, Eagle River, Palmer or Wasilla location
- Services of a local Alaskan Guide
- One fossil souvenir per person
- UTV transport for 5, plus ATV transport for additional participants
- Hard hats, safety glasses, and tools for fossil hunting
- Snacks, bottled water and Alaska caribou to try
Wild Journeys’ staff is a diverse team of year-round locals that have been guiding in Alaska throughout their professional careers. Our passion is sharing authentic and unique Alaskan experiences with adventure seekers. We introduce our guests to the real, wild grandeur of Alaska.
We are tourism professionals, outdoor operations specialists, hunting guides, school teachers, commercial fishermen, gold prospectors, contractors, photographers, Arctic carpenters, commercial drone pilots, land surveyors and freelancers.
We treat all our guests as if they were our own family visiting Alaska; our guides will take you to the very same places, sometimes hidden gems, they would take their own family and friends.
Our Founder, Tim Cook, has been guiding Alaskan adventures for over 20 years. Tim is the founder and owner of Wild Journeys, Alaska ATV Adventures and Arctic Air Expeditions. His decades of experience working and living in rural Alaska inspired him to start a career in adventure tourism. He began offering off the beaten path options to visitors that his family and locals enjoy. He is most well-known for his world-class polar bear photography tours in the Alaskan high arctic polar region.