Take a three to seven-minute scenic ride from the Hotel Alyeska to the top of Mt. Alyeska. At an elevation of 2300 feet, witness frosty views of the Turnagain Arm, up to seven “hanging” glaciers, and endless peaks deep into the Chugach Mountain range. The tram operates at a faster speed in the winter to get eager skiers on the slopes.
The Alyeska Tramway, designed by Von Roll Tramways, Inc. of Switzerland, has a regenerative drive system. AC power is converted to DC, allowing the tram to operate at varying speeds—slow for scenic rides and fast for powder days.
In the winter, the tram operates at full speed to get eager skiers on the slopes. In the summer, enjoy the natural beauty of the area and to spot wildlife. The tram operates two cars on a counterweight system—as one car goes up the other car comes down.
- Maximum Speed: 26 miles per hour (42 kilometres per hour)
- Average Time: 4 minutes in the winter and up to 7 minutes in the summer
- Capacity: Each of the two cars holds a maximum of 60 persons. The maximum in the winter is 800 persons per hour.
- **Please note, tram will be running at 25% or 15 riders per trip capacity during 20/21 winter operations.
- Masks are required for all riders during 2020 operations.
- Elevation Lower Tram Terminal: 306 feet (93 meters)
- Upper Tram Terminal: 2,334 feet (711 meters)
- Vertical Rise: 2,025 feet (617 meters)
- Length of Span: 3,869 feet (1179 meters)